Local School Headlines
Bill Seeks to Give Some Principals More Autonomy
- A bill filed in the state legislature would create a pilot program in select Florida school districts. It would give principals of "low-performing schools" more power to make decisions for their schools.
FSA Results Released This Week
- According to Bay District school officials, FSA results will be available to students and parents via Parent Portal by Friday morning. Those same officials said scores won't directly affect students, but they do make a difference for teacher evaluations and school grades.
State's Superintendents Lack Confidence in Department of Education
- On Wednesday the Florida Department of Education is expected to release the Florida Standards Assessment scores from the spring. The test results will not directly affect students but will impact teachers and schools grades which has superintendents across the state fuming.
Holmes County: No Buses On Dirt Roads Today.
- School buses in Holmes County are avoiding dirt roads today due to all the rain over the last two days.
Tools for Schools: Pocket Change to Positive Change
- Thanks to a local partnership and the help of the community, two local elementary schools have about $2,000 in brand new school supplies.
Bay District School Board Approves New Group Health Insurance Options
- During Tuesday's Bay District school board meeting, the board approved some changes to the district's insurance policy. Representatives with the district's consulting firm said the new method will lower premiums.
In Effort to Secure Schools, District Officials Now Looking Online
- School districts around the country have been working to better secure schools. But some of the hardest places to secure aren't playgrounds or classrooms. Now Bay County security officials are turning their attention online.
Bay District Schools Trying to Meet Demand for Classroom Computers
- Bay District Schools officials have seen a slow, steady increase in the number of students enrolled. With the increase, and the focus on computer-based testing, the district is in constant need of updated computers.
Investigation Closed on Cyber Attacks
- The Florida Department of Law Enforcement closed its investigation into a cyber attack from March which disrupted students taking the Florida Standards Assessment Test.
Scott Woodyard Wins the Golden Apple Award
- One high school history teacher strives to find creative ways to connect her students to the past.
More Local School Headlines