Local School Headlines
High schools begin recruitment of 8th grade students
- As education standards become more rigorous, schools are working hard to recruit the best and brightest to their student body. But the recruiting starts earlier than you might expect.
Vernon High School's record-breaking signing day
- Wednesday was a banner day at Vernon High School, where every senior on the football team signed a scholarship. But it was more than just football players celebrating on National Signing Day.
More planning for driver's ed before rubber hits the road
- Driver's education classes will return to Bay District schools within the year, but student drivers can't put the pedal to the metal just yet.
District, Union reach agreement on teacher salary, evaluations
- Earlier this week, Bay County's teacher's union packed the school board meeting to urge the board to support changes to teacher pay and evaluations. Negotiators finalized an agreement that still needs board and teacher approval.
Local autism program opens doors to community resource center
- For parents of children newly diagnosed with autism, navigating their future can be overwhelming and lonely. But leaders with a local autism program unveiled what they hope will be the starting point for a brighter future.
Elementary students surge into science
- Some Bay County elementary students had the opportunity to surge forward in their STEM education with the help of some college students and professors.
Teachers pack district meeting, ask for higher wages
- Dozens of teachers and members of the local teacher's union packed the Bay District School board meeting Tuesday evening, calling for higher wages.
Kesia Milner named Bay District Schools' Teacher of the Year
- Kesia Milner is an art teacher at Springfield Elementary school. She stressed the importance of arts in the classroom and providing students with an outlet to express themselves.
School Choice applications, restrictions in Bay District Schools
- School Choice begins February 1 and lasts until March 2. There are some limitations to when and where parents or guardians can apply.
Transportation officials say no changes for Highway 77 near Deane Bozeman
- Transportation officials concluded there is no operational or safety deficiencies within that section of road. But school district officials are still using the data to make change in the district.
More Local School Headlines