PCBPD: Suspect behind Arnold Bomb threat arrested

PANAMA CITY BEACH, Fla. (WJHG/WECP) - Panama City Beach Police announced the arrest of 25-year-old Tyler Barriss of Los Angeles for two counts of a false report of a bomb, including one in our area.

They said his arrest comes after a month-long cyber investigation that started after Arnold High School received bomb threats over the phone November 28.

Investigators said it didn't take long to trace the number the suspect used to make the calls, but it was a spoofed number from the Internet and wasn't registered to anyone specific.

Officers made undercover contact with Barriss, and he confessed to being the person who called in the bomb threats to Arnold and several others nationwide.

Police said he also admitted he was a "swatter."

Investigators gathered pictures of Barriss, his age, the city he lived in, WiFi networks he used to call in several of the bomb threats and the technology he used to cover up his identity.

Late last week, Beach Police learned about a fatal "swatting" incident in Wichita, Kansas, and realized the suspect information matched the one locally.

Through coordination with the Wichita Police Department, they learned about a bomb threat in Glendale, California in 2015, which was near the place Beach Police investigators suspected Barriss lived.

Investigators determined there was "enough probable cause" to put out a warrant for Barriss' arrest and found him a short time later.

Beach Police said they're helping outside agencies both statewide and nationally in the case.