By  | 

FEMA disaster recovery centers are already set up across the Panhandle. Anyone affected by the hurricane can apply for assistance, but the first call to make should be with your insurance company to find out what damage will be covered.

Charlie Henderson with FEMA says the process is working.

"We have already approved about $7.7 million and of that about $6.6 million has already been distributed. That accounts for 10,700 checks that are already in the mail or in their bank accounts."

When you do head to a disaster recovery center, you need to have an address and phone number where you can be reached, your Social Security number, information about the damage and the affected property insurance information and family gross income, but before you go, call FEMA to register for assistance at 1-800-621-FEMA.

"Every claim is a case by case situation and when you register, an inspector will call you back, arrange a time to come out and look at your property and have an evaluation, which will be an indication of what your eligibilities are, what you can expect."

Representatives with the American Red Cross, Small Business Association, Elder Affairs, Department of Children and Families, and Social Security are also available at the disaster recovery centers.

There is a disaster recovery center set up in Okaloosa County at the Spanish Trail Fairgrounds in Crestview. In Bay County, Parker City Hall is hosting the recovery center at 1001 West Park Street off Business 98 in Parker. The centers are open everyday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Those with FEMA do stress they can't make you whole, but they can help get past the initial trauma and get moving in the right direction again.