Hero Rescues 94-Year-Old Fire Victim From Burning Home

A Bayou George woman is in critical condition after a fire destroyed her mobile home.

It all started about 8:30 Friday morning at a mobile home on Lakewood Circle, that's just off of the east end of John Pitts road.

According to the State Fire Marshall's Office, 94-year-old Sarah Evelyn Hunt opened her dryer door and flames shot into her face. She's in critical condition in a local hospital with second and third degree burns over most of her body.

Rescue workers credit the fact that she's still alive to a pool maintenance worker who heard the commotion, went to the woman’s rescue and pulled her to safety. Adam Calhoun happened to be in the area, heard the cries for help and went running to the home to rescue Mrs. Hunt.

She was able to tell her rescuer that she was doing laundry at the time and opened the dryer door. When she did so, flames shot out burning her, her clothing and setting the mobile home on fire.

The home was a total loss.

Firemen say this is the second dryer fire in less than a month.

You're reminded to periodically clear the traps, ducts and lines behind your clothes dryer to keep tragedy from happening in your home.


8195 Front Beach Road Panama City Beach, FL 32407 Station: 850-234-7777 News: 850-230-5221 Fax: 850-233-6647
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 1123352 - wjhg.com/a?a=1123352
Gray Television, Inc.