Local Restaurant Fire Update

By  | 

Another fire this weekend was not so severe, but it has forced a popular beach seafood restaurant to temporarily close.

Employees were evacuated from the Saltwater Grill on Middle Beach Road around three in the afternoon Saturday when a problem with the ventilation system caused a fire.

The managers say flames shot out of a vent shaft above the grill in the kitchen, but most of the damage was contained. They're taking a couple days to thoroughly clean the entire restaurant before they reopen the doors later this week.

Saturday night at least 550 guests with wedding parties and banquets had to make new dinner plans. The good news is no one was hurt, including the fish in the restaurant's massive aquarium.