In Okaloosa County, commissioners have approved a new beach warning flag system.
- Green Flag – Water is safe.
- Yellow Flag – Use caution
- Single Red Flag – Dangerous rip currents and under-two present
- 2 Red Flags – The beaches are closed.
- Purple Flag – Harmful sea-life, such as jelly fish.
Law enforcement will have the power to arrest anyone swimming under the double red flags. The county will also take steps to make sure visitors understand the new flag system.
You can start looking for the new flags along Okaloosa County beaches in March.