The fire happened around 1:20 Monday morning at Nick’s On the Beach. The popular restaurant sits on County Road 30-A near Blue Mountain Beach.
Authorities say rags sitting in a plastic container probably contained cooking oils and other chemicals. They believe the chemicals mixed, sparking a fire that gutted the entire kitchen.
No one was hurt, but the restaurant remains closed due to smoke and heat damage.
Officials estimate the damage at more than $375,000.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.