Mercury Spill Closes Niceville High

A teacher reported the spill Thursday morning, forcing two hallways to be closed off.

Principal Janie Varner says the spill took place in a science classroom and a hazardous materials cleanup team has been called in.

Elemental mercury can be highly toxic when inhaled. The concern is that mercury vapors might have contaminated the air in and around the classroom.

Low-level exposure to mercury generally has NO ill effects. Students aren't due to return to the building until next week, but about 30 teachers and staffers were in the building when the spill was reported.