Two Bay County sheriff's deputies are responsible for saving a Panama City Beach man from a house fire this weekend. They say it's all in a day's work, but the man's family says it was because of the deputies that their loved one is still alive today.
"His chest and arms were burnt. His back was burnt. His face, but he's in the hospital now and he's doing good," says Walter Dupree, the victim's brother.
Walter Dupree's brother, Robert was severely burned in a fire that ravaged their home late Saturday night. He's now in critical condition, but his family says Robert wouldn't even be alive if it weren't for Deputies Karen Nusbaum and Andrew Loturco.
"When we got here the house was full of smoke and inflamed. I went inside and saw Karen and helped her pull Robert out," says Deputy Andrew Loturco.
If the deputies hadn't pulled Robert out when they did he would have certainly died. Two oxygen tanks inside the house exploded shortly after they pulled him to safety.
"Deputy Nusbaum had to be taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.
“I like to thank her for saving by brother’s life. The Sheriff's Office should give her a medal for saving a life," says Dupree.
The two deputies say it's all in a day's work. They're just happy this family who seemed to have lost everything didn't lose the thing most important to them.
The Red Cross has put the Dupree family up at the Travelodge. The fire destroyed everything that they owned.