Couple Celebrates 50th Anniversary with Photographs

By  | 

BAY COUNTY-- An Air Force veteran and his wife are celebrating a milestone anniversary today at the same place they got married, Tyndall Air Force Base.

They're getting something this time they didn't get back then, pictures.

Doug and Emma Corbell are celebrating their 50th anniversary by taking a walk down memory lane.

"I remember how his blue eyes with his dress blues was just a beautiful sight," Emma Corbell said. "Yeah, it was fun. He was smiling from ear to ear."

Unlike most married couples, Emma and Doug have no physical reminders of their wedding day, but the two can recite their love story like it was yesterday.

"A friend and I were going to see a college play that was playing," she said. "It was Taming of the Shrew and she got a date and then she said I could come along, and said, 'No, I'm not going to be a third party on your date." She said, 'Don't worry, I'll get you a date.' I said, 'Who?' She said, 'This guy I'm dating is in the air force, and he can get you a date.'"

"I'd never been on a blind date in my life and he said, 'I'll pay ya,' and back in '62, $20 was a lot of money," Doug Corbell said. "he was going to pay me $20 and pay for all the food and everything. And after I met her I said, 'Here, I'll give you 20 bucks back 'cause I'm gonna marry her.'"

The rest was history.

The Corbell's don't have any pictures from that day back in 1964, because their wedding photographer never showed up.

Fifty years later, the couple decided to finally take those long over-due wedding shots.

The Corbells called Tyndall Air Force Base and asked if their little chapel had been demolished yet, but imagine their surprise when they heard that the chapel is now the oldest building on base."

"I didn't know anything about weddings," Emma said. "I didn't know what there was supposed to be. I didn't have the typical garter, the thing borrowed and the thing blue and what all. I was just happy I was married to my guy."

The Corbells are in town for just a few days before returning home to Tampa.