Lynn Haven- Eyewitnesses captured some amazing video Sunday afternoon as flames ripped through a Lynn Haven home off East 12th Street.
Next door neighbor Darrin DeReus described the chaotic scene as it unfolded just before 3:00 p.m.
"We felt the lightning. It shocked me through my computer. My friends were here visiting and they saw lightning come out of the electrical outlets," said DeReus.
Firefighters arrived to the home in just four minutes fighting the torrential rain and lightning as they tried to put out the flames.
"It was through the attic and through the roof," said Bay County Fire Department Battalion Chief Darrel Wise.
Homeowners Bob and Lori Benjamin didn't want to talk on camera but told NewsChannel 7 they and their dog all made it out safely.
"It was like a big bon fire. I'm just glad they got out," said DeReus.
Understandably shaken up, they looked on as crews continued battling the blaze.
"The flames were just so high, 25 to 30 feet I would estimate or higher," said DeReus.
It would take them more than two hours to gain control of it, their hard work preventing the flames from spreading to nearby houses. But mother nature won the battle where it started completely destroying the Benjamin's home, bricks the only things left standing.
"The neighbors and I across the street, we just kind of did a little prayer together while we were standing there. It was just shocking," said DeReus.
The state fire marshall's office was investigating the fire. The Benjamin's said they'll be staying with family until they can file a claim with their insurance company.