House Fire On Chipewa Street


CALLAWAY-- Callaway fire fighters responded to a house fire Wednesday morning on Chipewa Street after they said a kitchen fire got out of hand.

No one was hurt and fire officials said they had the fire out in about 15 minutes.

A great reminder, however, to stay safe in the kitchen during the July 4th holiday.

Callaway fire fighters were called out at 8:26 in reference to a structure fire at 6620 Chipewa Street. When they arrived, they noticed light smoke on all four sides of the home.

"There were flames for about three minutes when we got on scene at the very top of the structure on the roof, on the exterior of the roof, and a little bit of water damage in the attic when it extended to the attic," Callaway Fire Department Chief David Joyner said.

Springfield Fire Department also assisted Wednesday morning.

Only one person was in the home at the time and did make it out safely.

Wednesday morning's fire just serves as a reminder to stay safe if you plan on having a cook out during the July 4th holiday weekend.

The U.S. Fire Administration said cooking, by far, is the leading cause of fires in the home. On average, an estimated 165,000 cooking fires in residential buildings occur each year in the U.S.


8195 Front Beach Road Panama City Beach, FL 32407 Station: 850-234-7777 News: 850-230-5221 Fax: 850-233-6647 FCC Form 398
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 265577211 - wjhg.com/a?a=265577211