A fire this morning at an apartment building on Beck Ave in St. Andrew sent one man to the hospital.
Panama City fire fighters say the blaze broke out in the attic area of the Cox Apartments , a two story structure in the 1100 block of Beck Ave.
The alarm was sounded a little after 5 AM and the building was quickly evacuated. The blaze was pretty much confined to Apartment number 7. The man living there was taken to Bay Medical Center and he was treated and released several hours later. His identity was not immediately available.
Fire Investigator Lt. Jimmy Talley says the blaze was started by an overheated electrical cord that was used for two space heaters. The cord overheated and started the blaze. The fire was contained to that one apartment although the others were evacuated while Panama City firefighters fought the flames
The Central Panhandle Chapter of the American Red Cross is assisting with temporary lodging, clothing and food.