Panama City- Paramedics hospitalized a teenage boy and treated two other children at the Edgewater Beach Resort pool Thursday afternoon, after they were overcome by gas fumes.
Friday pool experts said the gas release never should have occurred.
"Precautions should have been in place to prevent that from happening whether it's proper labeling or education," said Nathan Ivey who owns Emerald Pool Service.
Ivey says even though this was a scary situation, it could have been worse.
"It's a large pool therefore you're dealing in large amounts of sanitization and chemicals so depending on the amount, it could've been catastrophic. I don't think that's overstating it," said Ivey.
According to Panama City Beach emergency authorities, the pool technicians say they mixed muriatic acid and chlorine.
Thursday, those emergency officials seemed to be under the impression it was a common practice, but on Friday Edgewater Beach Resort issued a statement saying the mixing of muriatic acid and chlorine is not common practice on their property.
The statement went on to say: "An accident happened, staff members followed
protocol and procedures to ensure the safety of our guests and employees.
We called local authorities to assess the situation, which they did, an all clear was given.
We reopened our pool, and went on with a busy day."
The statement was issued by Edgewater Beach Resort’s spokesman Paul Wohlford.
It does not say if the resort is conducting an internal investigation or has disciplined any of the staff members involved.
Edgewater employs their own pool technicians.
Ivey, who services other resort pools in the area, says specialized training can help prevent accidents like the one.