The first one happened just a little before three Monday afternoon, at a home off Highway 90 on Aycock Road in Cottondale.
There was nobody home at the time the fire started. Neighbors rushed over and managed to rescue the family's pets from the house. Firefighters arrived and went to work.
But authorities tell us there was some confusion and lack of communication between several of the departments that led to injuries.
Firefighters from one department shot water through this side window, not realizing firefighters from Jackson County were inside. Two of the men were "steamed" and fell down some stairs. One had to be lifeflighted to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital with serious burns.
The home’s owners say they had been doing some work in the attic and were using one of those heavy duty construction lights. They say they accidentally left it on while they went to lunch and investigators believe that started the fire.
Some of the same firefighters left the house in Cottondale to respond to another fire, a few miles down Highway 231 in Alford.
This one started about 3:45 in a mobile home off Pike Pond Road, just past Country Acres Road. Apparently the owner used the trailer as a workshop. It was full of welding equipment.
Investigators believe this too began accidentally. Fortunately no one was hurt.
But the fire was a challenge for the firefighters.
Jackson County Asst. Fire Chief says water trucks had to continually fill-up at the nearest fire hydrant on Highway 231, then drive back to the scene. "The fire was extinguished without any injuries or casualties. Pretty successful, but then again the structure was on the ground so it was just pretty much just surround and drown type of fire tactics."
Besides four fire departments, two ambulances responded to keep an eye on the firefighters for heat exhaustion.
As it turned out, this was one of the hottest days this summer for Jackson County.