PENSACOLA, Fla. Freezing rain and ice are road hazards that Florida motorists seldom encounter, but such conditions can and have occurred in the state.
Recent cold temperatures emphasize the need for caution when driving in icy conditions.
When the temperature is near freezing, the roadway may look wet when in fact ice is forming, and bridges and over passes are prone to freezing. In such conditions, motorists should remember to:
• Slow down. When roads are icy, your vehicle doesn’t have the traction required to stop quickly.
• Don’t attempt to pass slower vehicles.
• Leave plenty of space between your vehicle and the one in front of you.
• Gently apply your brakes and accelerate at a slow speed.
• Be patient and courteous. Driving in adverse weather conditions can be stressful.
• Stay alert.
Motorists are encouraged to monitor the changing weather conditions and adjust their driving as necessary. Motorist
that need assistance may call *FHP on cellular phones for assistance.