Around 3:40 Thursday morning a Parker police officer was driving down Bob Little Road when he saw a home engulfed in flames.
The first fire crew made it on scene within just minutes of receiving the call, but it was too late. Seventy-nine-year-old Sylvester Baker had already died.
"It's a tremendous shock, it will be months getting over it," said Baker's friend, Lois Walker.
Investigators say the fire was accidental, but say they don't know how it started.
"We believe the fire started in the kitchen. The origin of the fire is as you can see, the right front corner of the house," said Parker Fire Chief Andrew Kelly." We're almost sure it was something in that kitchen area that caused it."
Investigators say they don't even know if Baker died from the fire. They say the World War II veteran had a history of heart problems, which could have played into his death. They say until the medical examiner completes an autopsy and a toxicology report, they wont know for sure.
In the meantime, friends of Baker are struggling to deal with the loss.
"He was truly a world citizen. He loved everyone and never had a negative thing to say about anyone, and he will be truly, truly, missed," said Lois Walker.
The State Fire Marshal's Office hopes to wrap up its case by Friday afternoon. Baker's friends say they'll hold a memorial for him once the medical examiner’s office releases his body.