Governor Charlie Crist said Wednesday he would support a five-million-dollar state payment to the family of a teenager who died last year after he was manhandled by juvenile boot camp guards.
Crist's comments came hours after prosecutors released 20-thousand pages of evidence. It included an expert's report. And there was enhanced video of the Bay County Boot camp incident last January, which led to a teenager’s death.
The report says seven guards engaged in "abusive and inhumane" behavior when they struck Martin Lee Anderson with fists and knees, repeatedly took him to the ground and held ammonia capsules under his nose. The guards and a nurse who watched have been charged with manslaughter.
The family had been suing for 40 (m) million, but said in a letter to Crist that a 10-(m)-million dollar payment would be a fair resolution -- half from the state and half from Bay County, which ran the camp.
Crist says he’s already asking the legislature to approve the $5 million as the state’s share of resolving the issue. Bay County and the 8 drill instructors and a nurse still remain liable unless they also settle.