"Leave No Trace" Beach Tent Ordinance Passes

Bay County Commissioners passed an ordinance Tuesday morning that authorizes the removal of tents, chairs, and other items from the beach if they're left overnight.

The ordinance, set to take effect July 1st, has received a good response from residents in the area. "I'm just glad that it passed," said Darlene Tate. "I'm looking forward to it being enforced and I think it'll be a great thing."

The ordinance prohibits leaving items of personal property from the base of the dune to the high water line between the hours of 9 pm and 5 am, however there are provisions for residents that don't want to bring their tents in. According to commissioners, if residents put their tents at the base of the dunes, they will not be pulled.

• by beach guy on Jun 7, 2012 at 04:00 PM
    Did anyone notice how politically correct the county and city worded this. No where is the word tourist used, its always residents. I didnt think it was the PCB or Bay county residents that were leaving the tents behind.Our leaders are so scared of offending a tourist that they wont even put the blame on the them for leaving the trash, instead they blame the residents.
  • by Helene Location: Panama City Beach on Jun 6, 2012 at 09:09 AM
    My husband, who is a Doctor, lobbied hard to have this ordinance passed. We have a penthouse condo on the beach that we use as a sometime vacation home. Every time we come down we have to deal with the riff raff on the beach with their busch beer cans and Nascar coolers. I wish they would just outlaw the riff raff as well. If you don't own a place on the beach then you shouldn't be there.
      by Bill on Jun 6, 2012 at 11:35 AM in reply to Helene
      How very elitist of you.........
        by John on Jun 6, 2012 at 01:28 PM in reply to Bill
        Helene - I guess you and your doctor husband would like to pick up the tab on the upkeep of the roads on the beach. I am sure the people cutting the grass and working the desk in the resort in which you and the Dr. own would be glad to hear your opinions of them working to make sure your piece of paradise is taken care of and the toilets flush. People like you make me sick. You and your husband are probaly the same people that appeal your taxes every year since you can't homestead the property. So think before you open your mouth...too bad you won't share where this PENTHOUSE is..
        by sue on Jun 6, 2012 at 01:38 PM in reply to Bill
        Isn't it though....such the sense
      by sara on Jun 6, 2012 at 01:36 PM in reply to Helene
      wow..so happy that your view from the penthouse will now be perfect.I propose that you sell that penthouse and move to a location where there isn't so much riff raff...oh wait, that's everywhere...well maybe your doctor husband can go buy you your own island and then you can live in your princess world... might want to get off your little high horse. I propose that all the "riffraff" get together to show you their gratitude for your presence buy giving you a great big full moon....
  • by len Location: gulfhighlands on Jun 6, 2012 at 06:21 AM
    great job on removing the tents and belongings!!!!! now if we can outlaw smoking on the beach that would be great tooooo!!!!!cold day in hell but it worth trying
      by PCB on Jun 6, 2012 at 07:57 AM in reply to len
      Yes, nothing like trying to enjoy the outdoors but sitting there smelling nasty smoke instead thanks to inconsiderate people all around you. Yuck.
        by Fred on Jun 6, 2012 at 03:13 PM in reply to PCB
        You should go and find a Dr. husband to buy you a private island so you can have pristine smelling air.
        by Mike on Jun 7, 2012 at 06:59 AM in reply to PCB
        How about getting obese people off the beach, stuffing their faces with junk food and walking around in bikinis and speedos at 300 lbs!Destroys our view. This is more offensive than smokers smoke.Maybe they are being inconsiderate?
  • by Warren Location: Atlanta on Jun 6, 2012 at 05:02 AM
    So they passed a rule that says people have to move their junk up by the dunes at night ? What a dissapointment. Now when you wake up in the morning the garbage dump will just be that much closer to your window. Can't they do any thing right ???? !!!!! I can't see that doing anything to make the beach more beautiful. Don't forget that beach and ocean is the only reason people come.
  • by Steve Location: St George Island on Jun 5, 2012 at 07:12 PM
    We NEED this kind of ordinance on St George Island as well as an enforcement tool. Our county commissioners are derelct in their duties in not providing us with this kind of protection for our beautiful beaches.
  • by Kelly Location: PCB on Jun 5, 2012 at 04:23 PM
    Oh, did we miss the voting? Seems to me this should have been voted on by beach residents. This just gives them a license to take whats not theirs.
  • by beach guy on Jun 5, 2012 at 03:36 PM
    Im excited, with the official opening day of "tent season" starting July 1st. I hoping to bag my limit the 1st night, but I didnt catch what time in the evening they become fair game?
      by James on Jun 6, 2012 at 06:03 AM in reply to beach guy
      Beachguy - What are you talking about? I don't think YOU are allowed to take the tents, the city comes around and takes them. If you take a tent it's stealing, but if the city does, it's not.
        by beach guy on Jun 6, 2012 at 03:47 PM in reply to James
        I have not read anything saing that only the beach cleaning crews (coastal parasail) have the right to pick up the tents after 9 pm, as far as Im concerned its 1st come 1st grab July 1st. Now if we see something saying this isnt the way its going to work then I will stand down. I personally have talked to many beach residents who plan on being out there at 9 pm taking whats only going to the garbage anyway.
          by Mike on Jun 7, 2012 at 07:03 AM in reply to beach guy
          Yes. It's going to be a free for all at 9:00! I've read no ordinance on this so it looks like finders keepers.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 157326785 - wjhg.com/a?a=157326785