Scott Signs Bill to Require Drug Tests for State Workers

Florida Gov. Rick Scott has quietly signed into law a bill allowing random drug testing of state workers.
The governor's office announced the signing after normal working hours Monday night. The only suspense was when the Scott would sign the bill, not if he would sign it.
The Republican governor already has tried to enforce random drug testing through an executive order. He suspended it, though, due to a court challenge. The new law also is certain to generate a lawsuit.
Some legal scholars say random drug testing by the government violates the U.S. Constitution's ban on unreasonable searches and seizures. That sets it apart from drug testing by private employers.
Scott has argued state employees should be subject to the same scrutiny as those in the private sector.

• by Anonymous Location: yOUNGSTOWN on Mar 23, 2012 at 05:44 PM
    That was actually Obama that said that while campaining.
  • by duane Location: florida on Mar 20, 2012 at 08:01 PM
    Anyone opposed to this law HAS SOMETHING TO HIDE,OR FEAR!!!!!!! I have to undergo "random test, post accident test, pre-employment test, incident/accident test, and even Resonable suspection tests.........I have no fear because i am not afraid to take ANY DRUG TEST, ANY PLACE, ANY TIME!!!!!!!!!! Could it be some State employees are in FEAR of passing it??? Why would you be opposed to such a law?? If my fellow worker was on drugs, I myself would want to know, So as not to put myself, and my family in danger!!! If you have nothing to hide.........Why are you AFRAID?????
      by Connie on Mar 22, 2012 at 08:11 AM in reply to duane
      Marijuanna will show up in a drug test up to 30 days after being smoked. Although illegal, it is no more harmful to people than drinking a beer. I'll take a drug test when everyone has to take a breathilizer. Cause I guarantee a lot of people come to work still drunk from the night before. It is none of anybody's business what I do on my time off from work. Legal or illegal.
        by Anonymous on Mar 22, 2012 at 10:12 AM in reply to Connie
        Yeah, I thought the same thing too, but I was wrong when I was fired for a dirty random.
      by Brian7 on Mar 22, 2012 at 08:39 AM in reply to duane
      Maybe some of us want less government intrusion in our lives? Maybe we want to be innocent until proven guilty. What's next you get stopped on the street getting searched to prove you're not on something? Probable cause, maybe. How about suspicion? Why don't you go home and drug test your wife and kids?
  • by Brian7 Location: PC on Mar 20, 2012 at 02:21 PM
    Chicken signed after hours. Why is he and the other politicians exempt if he wants it to be like the private sector?
  • by joe Location: tn on Mar 20, 2012 at 02:08 PM
    Testing for nicotine should be included. Fact is that it's expensive and difficult to keep a smoker healthy, not to mention all the hours of unproductivity during the "God given" right to take a smoke break while all other non-smokers keep working.
  • by State Employee Location: Florida on Mar 20, 2012 at 09:15 AM
    This should not be a problem. Anybody that works for the state can not afford to buy drugs. Contrary to what most people think, most state employess have to work 2 jobs to make ends meet.
  • by Dale on Mar 20, 2012 at 09:12 AM
    I think this law is great. I am a government worker and I think we should lead by example. We as public servants should be the role model citizens that our communities can look up to. But our pay should also reflect the higher standards we are held too also.
  • by Randy Location: Bay County on Mar 20, 2012 at 08:58 AM
    I think the Governor and his elected buddies should be the first to be tested. Oh, that's right, they exempted themselves from any testing! GO FIGURE, more do as I say and not as I do from members of this party...
  • by Valerie Location: Fla on Mar 20, 2012 at 08:51 AM
    I'm sure he has stock in the company that will be doing the testing. Wonder will he be tested?
  • by Richard Krauth Location: Lynn Haven on Mar 20, 2012 at 08:49 AM
    What happened to transparency and open government the republicans preach?
      by RICK on Mar 23, 2012 at 05:48 PM in reply to Richard Krauth
      Unless you include ALL goverment employees then this should not be legal and should be contested. Leadership by example. The lawmakers and governer have shown their true colors here and I will tell it to there face if the opportunity arises.
      by DaveV on Mar 24, 2012 at 05:59 PM in reply to Richard Krauth
      On the national level the democrats have promised the same thing...... also not a promise kept.
  • by Richard Location: Panama City on Mar 20, 2012 at 08:48 AM
    If federal workers have to do then what makes state workers feel they are any better? And if those freeloaders on welfare think they are exempt then they should have to give up their free ride on the taxpayer's back, too! If you're clean, what's the big deal anyway? If you're dirty then you should be diciplined or fired.
  • Page:
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 143469186 - wjhg.com/a?a=143469186