33 Greyhounds Found Dead at Ebro, 4 Others near death

Ebro - 37 year old Ponce De Leon Man, Ronald Williams, has been arrested by the Washington County Sheriff’s Office in Chipley on 37 counts of felony animal cruelty in what the sheriff says is one of the most disturbing cases to cruelty to animals the department has ever investigated.

Friday night state officials swooped down on Ebro Greyhound Park after an adoption operator at the Ebro dog track reported the smell of decaying animals coming from the neighboring kennels on Friday. After arriving and assessing the status of the animals, the Washington County Sheriff’s Office was called in to help investigate.

Deputies found 37 dogs in the kennels, only four were found alive, but near death. Veterinarians on site treated all four of the surviving dogs.

36-year-old Ronald Williams, identified earlier by Ebro officials, as an outside contractor responsible for the animals, was arrested and charged with 37 counts of felony cruelty to animals.

He was taken to the Washington County Jail in Chipley where he was being held on bonds totaling $54,000.

• by Lynn Location: Chicago on Jul 27, 2011 at 06:42 PM
    25 of these dogs were supposed to come to Greyhounds Only. I adopted me retired from them and have been volunteering since.
  • by Debi Page Location: Washington on Jan 29, 2011 at 05:54 PM
    Sad situation, Wish I could adopt one of the ones that are still alive. There is always a home here, and why did Ronald Williams not surrender them to adoption groups?
  • by Kathy Location: Denver on Dec 17, 2010 at 11:23 AM
    I agree with some others- other people in the compound HAD to know something was fishy in that kennel. There's one than one guilty party here! A thorough investigation is called for. I'm just grateful my grey escaped Ebro and made it to me in Denver safe and sound. She's just a complete delight.
  • by paul Location: Ohio on Nov 14, 2010 at 07:58 AM
    My wife and I have rescue dogs in our home. They are family. Place Ronald Williams in a cage and don't feed him. Hopefully he will die a slow painful death.
  • by Tracy Location: AZ on Nov 11, 2010 at 11:38 PM
    I am always encouraged to read such passionate responses to stories like this as it reminds me I'm not alone. I strongly oppose animal sports/entertainment. We need to continue to speak out against these horrible acts of neglect and cruelty for profit until they are abolished.
  • by Ace Location: Montclair, NJ on Nov 8, 2010 at 09:32 AM
    Adoption agencies have to check on potential adoptors. Some people are complete morons, and want to leave a dog alone for 10 hours at a clip, WTF? Do NOT adopt an animal if you cannot care for it. These poor dogs at the Track, I am quite sure someone would have taken care of them. I know I would have.
  • by Patty Location: Georgia on Nov 5, 2010 at 06:34 AM
    Dogs, man's best friend. Certainly not in this case. If this guy is found to have done these horrible sadistic things to these beautiful animals he should be duct taped around the neck, thrown in a pen and starved to death as was done to these magnificent creatures. Treatment of this kind should never occur in the world in which we live. There are too many people that love animals and will care for them with the dignity and respect that they deserve. Racing dogs in my opinion is cruel. Dogs don't deserve to be treated in this manner. They are here to enrich our lives with their love, not line our pockets because they win a race!
  • by Bill Location: Troy, NY on Nov 4, 2010 at 07:33 AM
    Somehow the idiots who support this barbaric sport will justify this horror. Too many people have their head in the sand when it comes to this. Take a look what happens behind closed doors to these beautiful animals when the people leave the races.
  • by PetVet Location: Ocala on Nov 3, 2010 at 03:49 PM
    The greyhound racing industry has proven time and again it cannot regulate itself nor is the state of Florida motivated to enforce the rules. This only came to light because the stench of death permeated the track, not because someone was doing their job to protect the dogs. Time for ths "sport" to end. Stop using tax dollars and casino gambling to prop up this failing industry.
  • by Tyrell Location: Lynn Haven on Nov 3, 2010 at 12:18 PM
    It's okay that they spend their life living in a cage and running so that the track can make money though, right?
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 106390723 - wjhg.com/a?a=106390723