According to reports, the Panama City Fire Department responded to the 2400 block of W. 16th Street at 3:55 Monday morning after reports of a structure fire.
The occupants who reported the fire said they were awakend by their smoke detectors, and noticed the fire coming from the kitchen area.
Firefighters responding to the scene located the fire in a small utility room. Crews extinguished the fire within 10 minutes and conducted a primary search of the home. Both occupants and their dog were able to get out of the home safely. Approximately 20-30 percent of the interior of the structure was damaged by fire with smoke damage throughout most of the home.
After investigating, the fire was ruled accidental and electric in nature, most likely caused by a timer that was installed for the hot water heater.