Electric Rate Hike

Gulf Power is asking for a huge rate increase. The utility sent a letter of intent to the Florida Public Service Commission Thursday to seek an increase in its base prices.

The amount of the increase request is 95-million dollars.

The utility says this is its first rate increase request in 10 years, and if granted, it would be only the 2nd base price increase in 20 years.

Since the last increase in 2001, Gulf Power claims it's needs the rate hike to keep up with the production costs like fuel for trucks, buying copper, and expanding service, as well as strengthening the grid against disasters like hurricanes.

• by Kerry Location: PC on May 31, 2011 at 03:24 PM
    It wouldn't be so bad if wages went up. You can't keep raising and raising and raising the prices without increasing wages. The minimum wage cannot keep up with the cost of living expensives. And that's not including luxuries like cell phones, cable, internet, and gas guzzlers. A person making minimum wage, and if that person is getting 40hrs a week, then minus taxes it comes out to be about 12,000 a year. So that is about $1000 per month to pay only the essentials like rent, electric, water/sewer/garbage, food...if you are careful. And i know there is gonna be some out there that will respond "Well, go to college and get a better job"..my response is, well, there has to be someone to fill the minimum wage jobs..there wouldnt be anyone to work in fast food, etc.
  • by Debby Location: Panama City on May 30, 2011 at 08:24 AM
    No doubt the Republicans-in-Charge in Tallahassee will let them do it, too. They are always all for anything for businesses and the rest of us who actually pay taxes just have to live with it.
  • by Linda Location: Callaway on May 30, 2011 at 08:23 AM
    This is part of the "change you can believe in" touted by President Obama. Remember he very clearly stated several times that energy prices would sky-rocket. Your just weren't listening and voted for him anyway. Welcome to the future Obama promised you, high prices, fewer freedoms, and more government control in our everyday life.
  • by John Location: Panama City on May 30, 2011 at 05:53 AM
    What's that new slogan? "Flordia: The Solar State"? Now THAT is just "green rhetoric". The problem with solar panels is they cost so much and produce so little electricity that it would be years until they paid for themselves. What with rising gas prices, I can understand this unfortunate price hike. For $25, I used to be able to fill up my little car. Now it's costing close to $40 to fill up my subcompact. Imagine what Gulf Power must be going through. I don't say that I like it but I understand it, and I will be cutting way back on my electrical usage because I'm not making enough money in this economy to throw it away on air conditioning or a large TV set.
  • by Dave Location: Panama City Beach on May 27, 2011 at 10:19 PM
    I am sick of gulf Power i am about to go and install a solar pannles and tell gulf power to stick it.
      by tiff on May 29, 2011 at 09:07 AM in reply to Dave
      I am right with ya, I can't stand them, they are ripping people off!!!! My bills are over 400 in summer months, I just cannot afford another increase, they definately got us all by the balls.
        by Gerald on May 31, 2011 at 10:40 AM in reply to tiff
        How is it that they expect us fixed income folks to pay for the hike. I guess I'll dump my wifes precious cats off at the pound so we can have that money to go on the electric bills.We can buy several jars of peanut butter,more rice,more flour for biscuits to eat with our peanut butter. We'll get by.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 122746269 - wjhg.com/a?a=122746269