Planning a road trip? A quick call or app check could make that trip a lot smoother.
Florida Department of Transportation spokesperson Christie Hyde joined Meredith Thursday morning with more on FDOT's 511 traveler information system.
It's a free phone and internet resource for traffic info.
Top 5 tips
1. Check 511 before driving or have a passenger check to avoid using a phone while driving.
2. Customize the trip at www.fl511.com before leaving to minimize time spent on the phone.
3. Use the iPhone app's auto play option to get audible, hands-free updates while you drive
4. Plan stops along the route to rest and change drivers during long trips to avoid drowsy driving.
5. Always wear a safety belt.
Background info: The statewide system provides information on commuter travel times, construction, lane closures, crashes, congestion and severe weather affecting traffic. Callers can also access public transit, airport and seaport information. In the event of an emergency, 511 provides information on road closures and evacuation information.