Atlanta churchgoers sickened with carbon monoxide

By: ATLANTA (AP)
By: ATLANTA (AP)

A dozen members of a northeast Atlanta church are recovering from carbon monoxide poisoning after they fell ill during services Sunday.

Atlanta fire department spokesman Bobby Stewart said a defective heating pipe at the New Supreme Church of God in Christ was sending the potentially deadly fumes into the church. The church called 911 after a few members became ill, a number that grew to 12 before emergency officials arrived a few minutes later.

Stewart said the sickened churchgoers were taken to area hospitals.

Fire officials say the victims' conditions were not life-threatening.

Church officials could not immediately be reached for comment. The church's listed phone number has been disconnected.

(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
8195 Front Beach Road Panama City Beach, FL 32407 Station: 850-234-7777 News: 850-230-5221 Fax: 850-233-6647 FCC Form 398
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 37834434 - wjhg.com/a?a=37834434