Trump administration removes Florida from offshore drilling list

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (CAPITOL NEWS SERVICE) - The Trump administration has announced it's removing Florida coasts from consideration for offshore oil drilling.

The announcement comes after Governor Rick Scott met with Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke Tuesday afternoon.

Last week, Zinke announced plans for 47 potential leases across the country, including one on Florida's coast off the eastern Gulf of Mexico.

Governor Scott, who is expected to run for the U.S. Senate, came out in strong opposition to the plan.

Zinke says Scott was the deciding factor in removing Florida from consideration.

"I think it's very important to continue our efforts to take care of our environment. I want to also thank the Trump administration for their commitment to make sure that we have the funding for Lake Okeechobee so that we can finish repairing the dike so we can continue to make sure that this is the state that people want to continue to travel to, they want to live in because we have the most pristine environment in the world," Governor Scott said.

Still on the books are plans for drilling off the gulf coast of Alabama, just roughly 20 miles from Pensacola.