Bay District Schools Superintendent sends out COVID-19 update to parents
PANAMA CITY, Fla. (WJHG/WECP) - As COVID-19 cases in our area continue to spike, Bay District Schools Superintendent Bill Husfelt has sent out an update to parents and guardians of students to address any concerns about the school year.
Bay District Schools is scheduled to resume class August 10th. In the letter to parents, Superintendent Husfelt says they are monitoring the COVID-19 situation.
He also includes a quick summary of plans and protocols for the district. Those six protocols are:
1. Cleaning and sanitizing protocols for high-touch areas at school and on buses.
2. Classrooms and buses will use seating charts and school leaders will encourage physical distancing when and where possible.
3. Masks are optional for students and teachers. School leaders encourage parents who want their children to continue wearing masks to send masks to school with their students. There will be replacement masks for students who lose or break their masks during the day.
4. School health officials will consult with medical professionals and partners with the Bay County Health Department and PanCare. They will also rely heavily on their guidance and on direction from the Florida Department of Education and Governor Ron DeSantis’ office.
5. Students and staff will quarantine as directed by the state protocols. School leaders say they will do their best to ensure minimal learning loss for any students who have to quarantine. The CDC says those who are vaccinated need only to quarantine if they experience symptoms after exposure.
6. When school starts, school leaders will resume notifications in the event of a documented COVID-19 exposure and will resume tracking the cases on their website.
COVID-19 vaccines are not mandatory for school attendance, but Husfelt writes the school district will continue to share vaccination options locally with those who choose to get one.
Husfelt ends his letter with this, “Thank you for your continued trust in us. We value our educational partnership with you and feel a great sense of responsibility to do all we can to ensure the safety of your student(s) while also delivering the very best educational experience possible.”
Copyright 2021 WJHG. All rights reserved.