Student reportedly bit by snake on Breakfast Point practice field
PANAMA CITY BEACH, Fla. (WJHG/WECP) - A student at Breakfast Point Academy in Panama City Beach was reportedly taken to the hospital after being bitten by an unknown snake on the school’s football practice field Wednesday evening.
A source who was on the field at the time told NewsChannel 7 the student, a football player, was on the field running a drill when he said he thought he was bitten by a snake.
We’re told paramedics were called to the scene immediately. The source said there were fang marks in the boy’s ankle, but there was no swelling or any reaction to the bite. NewsChannel 7 talked with a family member who says there was no venom in the child’s blood from the bite. However, doctors told the family member they can’t confirm if the snake was venomous or not because snakes can sometimes deliver a warning bite.
NewsChannel 7 reached out to Bay District Schools officials. This statement was given in response to the incident:
“Late this afternoon, one of our middle school student athletes encountered a snake on the sidelines of football practice. Unfortunately, the snake bit the student who was then immediately given medical care and transportation to the hospital. We are not yet sure whether or not the snake was venomous, but the student is receiving excellent medical care and is expected to make a full recovery. Our thoughts and prayers are definitely with him and his family and we look forward to his return to practice soon.”
According to family members, the child did return to school on Thursday.
Copyright 2023 WJHG. All rights reserved.