Bay County TDC helping Mexico Beach with beach renourishment

BAY COUNTY, Fla. (WJHG/WECP) - Mexico Beach is getting some much-needed assistance with a beach renourishment project thanks to the Bay County Tourist Development Council.

Mexico Beach is getting help from Bay County with a beach erosion project. (WJHG/WECP)

Well before Hurricane Michael, Mexico Beach secured a state grant for 75% of the total cost, and the city is responsible for the remaining 25% or $155,000.

After Mexico Beach was devastated by the hurricane, the Bay County TDC decided to cover the entire leftover cost.

"Panama City Beach itself, we did see an increase in our visitor spending over the wintertime, so we are just assisting our friends to the east, make sure they can get this state grant and move forward with this immediate truck haul project," President of the Bay County Tourist Development Council Dan Rowe said.

There is no official start or end date for the project.

Copyright 2019 WJHG. All rights reserved.