Electrical issue causes fire at Mossy Head home

Firefighters say they were able to put out the fire before it engulfed the home. (Walton County Sheriff's Office)

MOSSY HEAD, Fla. (WJHG/WECP) - A fire sparked by an electrical issue with a space heater in a Mossy Head home nearly burnt down the house.

Walton County Firefighters say they got a call early Tuesday morning to a home on Elmwood Road. They say the caller told them she woke up to heat in her bedroom and noticed a small fire had started in her room.

First responders say when they got on scene, there were flames coming out the side of the home. Walton County Fire Rescue, along with Liberty Volunteer Fire Department, started fighting the blaze and say they were able to put it out before it engulfed the home.

Firefighters say all people inside made it out safely, but the family dog died from smoke inhalation.

The American Red Cross was contacted to help those living in the home.

Copyright 2019 WJHG. All rights reserved.


(Walton County Sheriff's Office)
Firefighters say they were able to put out the fire before it engulfed the home. (Walton County Sheriff's Office)
(Walton County Sheriff's Office)