Fire destroys home, everyone inside makes it out alive

PANAMA CITY, Fla. (WJHG/WECP) - "It was bad, we lost everything, and everything is gone."

A fire destroyed a home in Panama City Thursday morning, but everyone made it out safely. (WJHG/WECP)

A Panama City family is safe after a fire destroyed their home Thursday morning.

"It's crazy, I've never seen anything like it. I've never been involved in a house fire or anything like that before but this was nuts, it went up like in seconds," said Micheal Brady, who lived in the house.

The Panama City Fire Department responded to the fire on 12th Court near Mercedes Street.

Fire Chief Alex Baird said, having a plan is most likely what helped these people get out safely.

"Whether it's through the bedroom window, through the front door, back door, however, you should have a family evacuation plan, have a point outside of the house where everyone's going to meet at so you know when everyone got out of the house," said Baird.

"I was in the military for eight years so I got a really bad thing with accountability, so if I know there's a bunch of people in the house, I've got to know they're out," said Brady.

According Baird, the accountability and quick response, are likely what saved their lives.

“It could've got us, like a minute longer, we could have all been dead," said Brady.

According to the Department of Energy, when using a portable space heater, you should:

-Try to use a newer model
-Use a heater that is thermostatically controlled
-Select a heater that is proportional to the size of the room
-Keep the heater on level ground.

Copyright 2020 WJHG. All rights reserved.