How to replace lost or damaged documents in Florida

The Hurricane Michael disaster may result in the loss of important documents, but Florida residents have ways to replace them.

Here is a list of some useful websites and telephone numbers:

SNAP Cards
Phone: Agents available 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Monday-Friday at 866-762-2237

Green Cards:
Phone: 800-375-5283

Birth and Death Certificates:
Phone: 850-245-4444
Birth Certificates:
Death Certificates:

Florida Driving Licenses:
Phone: 850-617-3000

Bank Checks, ATM/Debit Cards or Safe Deposit Boxes:
Phone: 877-275-3342

Credit Cards – Contact the appropriate issuing institution:
- Visa: 800-847-2911
- MasterCard: 800-627-8372
- Discover: 800-347-2683
- American Express: 800-327-1267

Credit Reports: Equifax, Experian or TransUnion
Phone: 877-322-8228

Social Security Cards:
Phone: 800-772-1213

Fraud Alerts or a Credit Freeze:
Both are free, but there are important differences between these two options:
- An extended fraud alert means that a business must verify your identity before it issues new credit. An extended fraud alert, lasting seven years, is available only to identity theft victims. To get an extended fraud alert, you’ll first need an Identity Theft Report, which you can create at
- A freeze generally stops all access to your credit report, while a fraud alert permits creditors to get your report as long as they take steps to verify your identity. A freeze is available to anyone, whether or not you are a victim of identity theft. For more information, visit

Identity Theft Resource Center:
Phone: 888-400-5530

Medicare Cards:
Phone: 800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778)
from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.; or
go to

Phone: 877-487-2778

U.S. Savings Bonds:
Phone: 844-284-2676 (toll-free)

Federal Tax Returns:
Phone: 800-829-1040

Military Records:
Phone: 866-272-6272

Insurance Documents:
Phone: Check with your insurance agent.

Real Estate and Property Records (Mortgage Documents, Deeds, etc.):
Phone: Contact your agent.

Medical and Prescription Records:
Call your doctor; medical and prescription records are tracked electronically.

Proof of Address/Residency:
Contact your local utility company to obtain a recent bill.

National Archives Records:
Phone: 866-272-6272
Website: General: