Jackson County deputy recovering from accidental Fentanyl overdose
A Jackson County deputy is recovering after an accidental Fentanyl overdose Tuesday.
Sheriff's officials say the deputy responded to a call about a shoplifter at the Goodwill on Highway 71 in Marianna when it happened.
When deputies approached the suspect, Wanda Mercer of Greenwood, they say they found what appeared to be meth on her. When the deputy field tested the suspected meth, they say he immediately began to show signs of Fentanyl exposure and radioed for help.
Other deputies arrived and administered Narcan to the deputy. He was taken to a local hospital where he remains for observation.
Mercer was arrested and taken to the Jackson County Jail where officials say they found more drugs on her. She's facing charges of possession of methamphetamine, possession of a controlled substance (Xanax), introduction of contraband into a correctional facility, and possession of drug paraphernalia.