PANAMA CITY, Fla. (WJHG/WECP) - As temperatures drop, many locals will break out the space heaters. While a common option for staying warm, fire officials warn that when not used properly, they could lead to house fires.
Cold weather is on its way and firefighters want to make sure you don't burn your house down trying to stay warm. (WJHG/WECP)
Panama City Fire Chief Alex Baird said to make sure your space heater is Underwriter Labs inspected. If you see a tag that says UL on it, then you should be good to go. Chief Baird also said that you will want to plug your heater three feet away from the wall, do not use an extension cord, and make sure nothing is to close too or covering your space heater.
"Away from draperies, bed sheets, clothing. You don't want anything laying on top of it or too close to it so it won't ignite," said Baird.
Chief Baird also wants to remind locals burning outside is not allowed unless you have a commercially manufactured burn pit.
"If you have a chimney on your home, make sure you have it professionally cleaned and inspected. Make sure it works properly, the flues are working properly and they're clean properly as well," said Baird.
Baird also said it's a good idea to get a carbon monoxide sensor in your home and do not use your oven as a heat source.
Copyright 2019 WJHG. All rights reserved.