Panhandle communities receive vearly $536,000 in FEMA Public Assistance Grants

TALLAHASSEE, Fla, (PRESS RELEASE) - FEMA has approved $535,950 to the state of Florida to assist 15 eligible applicants with reimbursement for eligible costs of emergency response and protective measures, as well as temporary facilities, for Hurricane Michael under FEMA’s Public Assistance Program.

The following projects have been obligated by FEMA to the Florida Division of Emergency Management to help applicants with reimbursement for eligible costs incurred due to Hurricane Michael. These grants are funded at original 75 percent federal cost share. Projects that meet the criteria for the President’s recent approval of 100 percent federal cost share will be adjusted to provide the remaining 25 percent of eligible costs to the applicants.

As of April 11, 2019, the awards are:
Capital Region Community Development District – $69,481 for debris removal
City of Carrabelle – $116,703 for emergency protective measures
City of Mary Esther – $4,144 for emergency protective measures
Destin Fire Control District – $9,603 for emergency protective measures
Jackson County Sheriff’s Office – $143,231 for emergency protective measures
Lighthouse Baptist Church – $16,706 for emergency protective measures
North Okaloosa Fire Department – $4,096 for emergency protective measures
Panama City Port Authority – $15,938 for emergency protective measures
Parker Volunteer Fire Department – $49,614 for repairs to fire station
Rock of Panama City – $16,845 for emergency protective measures
South Walton Fire Department – $50,487 for emergency protective measures
Suwannee County – $20,352 for emergency protective measures
Taylor County – $2,841 to remove and replace a light pole in Hodges Park
Town of Wausau – $13,294 for repairs to town buildings
Wainwright Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 2185 – $2,615 for emergency protective measures
FEMA’s Public Assistance grant program is an essential source of funding for communities recovering from a federally declared disaster or emergency. The Florida Division of Emergency Management works with FEMA during all phases of the PA program and conducts final reviews of FEMA-approved projects.

Once a project is obligated by FEMA, FDEM works closely with the applicant to finalize the grant and begin making payments. FDEM has implemented new procedures designed to ensure grant funding is provided to local communities as quickly as possible.

FEMA has numerous other projects that have been identified under the Public Assistance program for Hurricane Michael and is working extensively with all applicants. The timeline for other projects being obligated depends on the complexity of the projects, collection of supporting documentation by the applicants, environmental and historical laws, regulations and other concerns.

Applicants provide FEMA with thorough documentation to support damage claims. Following approvals by FEMA and the Florida Division of Emergency Management, FEMA obligates funding for the project.

To date, FEMA has obligated a total of more than $58 million in federal funding for Public Assistance projects related to Hurricane Michael in Florida.