Traffic advisories for Okaloosa and Walton County
Drivers will encounter traffic disruptions on the following state roads in Okaloosa and Walton counties as crews perform construction and maintenance activities.
· U.S. 98 Improvement from East Pass (Marler) Bridge to Airport Road- Crews continue paving operations, median, turn lane and driveway replacement work on U.S. 98 (Harbor Boulevard) between the East Pass (Marler) Bridge and Airport Road in Destin the week of Sunday, March 29. Intermittent east and westbound lane closures will be in effect from 9 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. Sunday through Thursday.
· U.S. 98 Widening from Airport Road to the Okaloosa/Walton County line- The U.S. 98 median crossing at Henderson Beach Road is temporarily closed. U.S. 98 westbound drivers destined for Henderson Beach State Park are being detoured to Indian Bayou Trail via Triumph Drive and Commons Drive. Eastbound traffic destined for Henderson Beach Road North is detoured via Indian Bayou Trail and Commons Drive. Detour signage is in place to direct traffic. Additionally, drivers are only be able to turn right onto U.S. 98 from Henderson Beach State Park and Henderson Beach Road. This temporary median closure will be in place through early April while crews adjust the elevation of the median at this location.
· John Sims Parkway (State Road (S.R.) 397) Bridge Replacement over Toms Bayou- All travel lanes are shifted to the southbound bridge to demolish and reconstruct the northbound structure. John Sims Parkway over Toms Bayou has been reduced from four to three travel lanes. The middle lane is a "reversible lane" providing maximum traffic capacity during peak travel times. Two southbound (Niceville to Eglin AFB) lanes will be in place in the morning and two northbound (Eglin AFB to Niceville) lanes in the afternoon. At times, John Sims Parkway may be reduced from three to two travel lanes, one in each direction, across the Toms Bayou Bridge between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. The short-term closures are needed to deliver materials and pour concrete for the new northbound structure and will continue intermittently into early 2021.
· Mid-Bay Bridge Routine Maintenance- Traffic will encounter intermittent lane closures from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. Sunday, May 29 through Thursday April 2 as crews perform routine roadway operations.
· Mid-Bay Bridge Nighttime Bridge Closure- The Mid-Bay Bridge will be closed to all traffic from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. Tuesday, March 31, Wednesday, April 1 and Thursday, April 2 as workers remove and replace tendons. Alternative routes are State Road (S.R.) 20, S.R. 85, and U.S. 98. The bridge closures will take place periodically through the months of April and May. Variable message boards at each end of the bridge will alert drivers about restrictions. In addition, beginning at 11 p.m. Tuesday, March 31 the Mid-Bay Bridge will be restricted to only two axle vehicles and single axle trailers. This load restriction is a cautionary measure intended to minimize the stresses on the bridge while permanent repairs are made.
· S.R. 4 Bridge Replacement (Cotton Bridge) over Blackwater River- Motorists may encounter intermittent daytime lane restrictions through Saturday, May 16 as crews continue bridge construction activities. There will be no traffic impacts during recognized holidays.
· S.R. 85 Utility Operations in Niceville- Motorists can expect a lane shift from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. until Sunday, March 29 as Gulf Power removes utility poles from the right of way.
· U.S. 98 Widening from Emerald Bay Drive to Tang-O-Mar Drive- Crews continue road widening and drainage improvements. Traffic impacts for the week of Sunday, March 29 include:
The U.S. 98 eastbound travel lanes, between Seascape Drive and Tang-O-Mar Drive, will be shifted to the south in early April. The traffic shift will allow crews to construct the temporary westbound travel lanes for a subsequent traffic shift expected later this Spring. The following restrictions will be in place during this phase of work:
§ Drivers are only allowed to make right turns from side streets and driveways.
§ U-turns are only allowed at signalized intersections.
§ Pedestrians are routed to the newly constructed sidewalks located on the south side of the roadway between Seascape Drive and Tang-O-Mar Drive.
Drivers can expect intermittent lane closures at the U.S. 98 intersections of South Shore Drive and Geronimo Street between 6:30 p.m. and 5:30 a.m. Sunday through Thursday. Crews will be paving at these locations with traffic flaggers on-site to safely guide drivers through the work zone as needed.
o Driveways and side streets on the south side of U.S. 98, between Seascape Drive and Tang-O-Mar Drive, may be temporarily impacted by construction equipment crossing the roadway. Additionally, drivers may encounter uneven pavement in this area.
o Driveways and side streets on the north side of U.S. 98, between Seascape Drive and the McCaskill and Company driveway, may be temporarily impacted by construction equipment crossing the roadway. Additionally, drivers may encounter uneven pavement in this area.
U.S. 331 Routine Bridge Maintenance over Choctawhatchee Bay- There will be intermittent lane restrictions from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday, March 30 through Friday, April 3.
U.S. 331 Turn Lane Construction at Shadow Lane in Freeport- The northbound, outside lane will be closed from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday, March 30 through Thursday, April 30 and from Monday, April 6 through Thursday, April 10 for turn lane construction.
U.S. 331 Turn lane Construction South of Publix- The southbound, outside lane will be closed from 9 p.m. to 3 p.m. Monday, March 30 though Thursday, April 2 for turn lane construction.
S.R. 20 Rip Rap Placement at East Chippewa Drive and Mohawk Avenue- Traffic will encounter intermittent lane restrictions from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday, March 30 and Tuesday, March 31.
S.R. 20 Routine Maintenance Operations in Choctaw Beach- Drivers may encounter intermittent lane closures between 8 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. the week of March 30 as crews perform maintenance.
I-10 Routine Maintenance Between Exit 85 (U.S. 331) and Exit 96 (S.R. 81)- Drivers may encounter intermittent lane restrictions from 8 a.m. to 3 :30 p.m. Monday, March 30 through Friday, April 10 as crews trim trees along the interstate.
All activities are weather dependent and may be delayed or rescheduled in the event of inclement weather. Drivers are reminded to use caution, especially at night, when traveling through a work zone and to watch for construction workers and equipment entering and exiting the roadway.
For more information visit the Florida Department of Transportation District Three on the web at www.nwflroads.com, follow us on Twitter @myfdot_nwfl, or like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/MyFDOTNWFL.