PANAMA CITY, Fla. (WJHG/WECP) - Molds are part of the natural environment; they can be found outdoors and indoors.
"The brown and greenish fuzzy stuff," said ServPro Mitigation Manager Trevor Bus.
But when you find it indoors, you will want to work on removing it.
"First and foremost, remove any wet materials," said Bus.
Once you've done that, Bus says it's best to hire a mold remediation specialist. But in the meantime, getting a dehumidifier will help pull moisture out of the area to stop the mold from spreading, because it wastes no time moving into your home.
"Mold takes around three to four days to start to germinate at a relative humidity of about 55 percent, after that three or four-day window, it's got moisture, its food source, it can just grow on its own," said Bus.
While the sight might not be pretty to see, local allergist Dr. Marwan Obid, says it can affect your health as well.
"You'll start feeling achy, and watery eyes, short of breath, coughing, congestion," said Obid.
And trying to treat mold yourself can lead to another trip to the doctor's office.
"If you try to clean it by chlorine and bleach and other stuff, those also will irritate your respiratory system," said Dr. Obid.
ServPro experts also say cleaning it with bleach will only add to the problem.
"Bleach is 75 percent water so what it does is it does clean the surface, and causes the mold to appear that it's gone, but you're actually giving it more of its food source," said Bus.
Dr. Obid says the healthiest way to deal with mold is to stay away from it.
"The main treatment, main avoidance as much as possible and later on the cleaning with the professional people," said Dr. Obid.
If you are trying to solve mold issues without professionals, the experts say getting an antimicrobial solution should help.