Bonifay restaurant damaged after grease fire

WTVY - Bonifay Residents called 911 after seeing clouds of smoke coming out of a business Tuesday.

A restaurant is damaged after a grease fire broke out Tuesday. (MGN)

Officials say a grease fire started in the kitchen of the Cancun Mexican Restaurant. Water was apparently thrown on the fire, causing an explosion that left a hole in the roof of the building.

When firefighters arrived, there was still fire coming through the roof. The building, though, was not destroyed.

"Had some help from Chipley Fire Department, Esto Fire Department, Vernon Fire Department. I had two off-duty Walton County paid firemen that stopped in and were of great assistance," said Bonifay Fire Chief Larry Cook.

No one was injured in the fire.