No one injured in Panama City house fire Wednesday evening

PANAMA CITY, Fla. (WJHG/WECP) - Crews with the Panama City Fire Department responded to fire in the 1300 block of Cherry Street in the Cove just after 6 p.m. Wednesday.

When firefighters arrived, they said they noticed heavy smoke and flames coming from the home.

No one was inside or injured, and they put the fire out fairly quickly.

Battalion Chief Chris Burger said Gulf Power and TECO Gas represenatives helped secure the utilities. The entire structure reportedly received significant smoke and fire damage.

The local chapter of the American Red Cross showed up to help the displaced residents.

Fire investigators wrapped up at the scene Thursday morning and determined an overloaded electrical circuit caused a short and started the fire.

The Panama City Fire Department reminds you to use caution when using portable space heaters. Firefighters also said make sure your smoke detectors are working properly.