The hidden dangers of golf carts

By  | 

WALTON COUNTY, Fla. (WJHG/WECP) - Plugging in an electric golf cart inside a closed garage can cause more harm than many realize.

South Walton Fire District Officials say they are seeing an increase of carbon monoxide detectors activated. They want to keep you safe from harmful gases that could come right from your electric golf cart. (WJHG/WECP)

“We’ve noticed an increase in carbon monoxide detectors activating," said South Walton Fire District Sergeant Steve Smith.

But it's not carbon monoxide setting them off.

“The golf carts are charging and they’re producing hydrogen gas which in turn activate a carbon monoxide detector," said Smith.

“I had no idea that that could happen," said Walton County resident, Tim Dutrow.

The consequences can be fatal.

“It could be very dangerous. It’s explosive and it’s dangerous to your health," said Smith.

South Walton Fire District Officials say detecting hydrogen gas from a golf cart can be very difficult.

“It’s odorless and it’s colorless, so you can’t tell," said Smith.

So fire officials are working to get the word out.

“What we're trying to do is really educate our community, especially those that maybe not familiar with golf carts and that are staying here in South Walton," said South Walton Fire District Fire Marshal Sammy Sanchez.

The most important thing to remember while charging your golf cart...

“Proper ventilation, educate yourself and make sure that you do your due diligence to have the carbon monoxide detectors," said Smith.

“It could be the difference between life or death," said Sanchez.

Starting next week, the South Walton Fire District will have a flyer with more information on the dangers of hydrogen gas and how to protect yourself.

Copyright 2019 WJHG. All rights reserved.